Kecks in Paradise

Kecks in Paradise

Monday, September 27, 2010

Shine like Transfiguration


I am so glad I ran across this Simon William's shot of Jason at the Hare Krishna festival so long ago, because his face is such a better representation of the remarkable fall colors we saw yesterday than the few photos we snapped on our slow roll through the mountains.

It is so dazzingly clear at times that Nature is sacred and sculpted from a Master's hand. I love those communion-like moments when you come tired and burdened to these quiet places and leave rejuvenated and feeling more connected to God and to the whole.

I interview farmers for my job and I've met some of the hardest working people in Utah and so many have lamented the pressures on today's fast-paced folks. One woman had said that even with entertainment, there is so much flash and expectation on everyone: people feel like they have to be doing something at every moment of the day. Now, I am not criticizing busy, productive people--I think it is wonderful to use your time in ways that will benefit others and yourself, but I am suggesting that there is a holiness and peace in the quiet nothingness of being. It does not make for exciting conversation ("So, what did you do today?" "Mostly meditated and thought about breathing.") but sometimes, having an hour on pause makes the fast-forward so much more manageable.

Happy Fall.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Beautiful thoughts, beautiful words, beautiful pictures

HeatherLynn said...

Both pictures are amazing. I think the one of Jason is really neat, that festival looks like it would be SO much fun!! I agree with you about that feeling of peace that comes from nature and like that you described it as "sacred" because I think there is great truth to that. I am so excited to see you again for Thanksgiving. Love you.